A Fork In The Road
I was at dinner last night and I had a realization: making a 4x strategy game is really hard. OK, maybe hard is the wrong word. Nothing is truly hard. Things are only ever easy or impossible.
But itâ€™s really difficult to tell if what Iâ€™m adding to the game is actually doing anything. Iâ€™m adding tons of stuff to the game but it feels like nothing is really changing.
And I realized it was because Iâ€™m making a 4X strategy game. These games almost by definition take forever. It takes like 10 turns before anything meaningful even happens. I donâ€™t have time for that.
Iâ€™ve also realized Iâ€™m still playing the same games on my phone and mobile games are really fun when Iâ€™m out of the house and just have some time to burn. I should make a mobile game.
So Iâ€™ve decided to make a new game. Now, itâ€™s going to still use everything Iâ€™ve already built for Conquisition. In fact, I plan to return to Conquisition after Iâ€™ve finished on this game. Iâ€™m planning for this game to be a spin-off of Conquisition.
Iâ€™m calling it Conquisition: Escalation. It will basically be a copy of Advance Wars and it will use a freemium model. I already know the major plot points Iâ€™m going to hit for the Campaign. The antagonist is going to use a Magnetic Reconnection attack to create a world-wide EMP blast, something that I just made up that could (although it probably wonâ€™t) be possible.
Itâ€™ll have secrets, conspiracies, maybe betrayals, upgrading units, daily missions, optional missions, survival missions. I canâ€™t wait, itâ€™s going to be so great. And itâ€™s all going to be playable on your phone.
I already have almost everything ready. All I need is to switch the camera to orthographic and change the map.
So whatâ€™s going to happen to Conquisition proper? Well, not much. I am going to come back to it eventually. Conquisition was always my vision for what a 4X strategy game should be.
Itâ€™s going to stay here. And this will probably be my last update for a while. Well, Iâ€™ll probably merge changes from Escalation back into Conquisition.
So hereâ€™s my last major changelog:
- Pressing Escape now quits the game in the native version of the game
- Tech tree now defaults to the right most tech
- Now we have an indicator for what age each player is in
- Reverted scrolling on zoom feature
- Updated tile indicator
- Selection shader has been tweaked
- Undoing has been disabled because there was a bug with it. It never did work properly once fog of war was introduced.
- Units now autocapture cities if they have not moved that turn.
- [Not working for some reason] On the web version there is an intro screen. This means if youâ€™re on a supported browser with poor specs the page will still be responsive.
- Added a loading screen. But you canâ€™t see it on the native version probably because itâ€™s too fast. Itâ€™s actually regenerating the entire world and randomly assigning terrain every time you start the game so itâ€™s a miracle it can do it that fast. Although, my code is very efficiently written if I do say so myself.
- Right clicking now dismisses attack preview. I should probably make it disable more stuff as well. Maybe even make left and right click functionally equivalent in most situations. Hmm…
- Tutorial is now minimizable by clicking anywhere not just on it.
- Notification positions now update properly when there are multiple of them loaded. Also it has a bit of an animation based on which one youâ€™re mousing over similar to Mac OSâ€™s enlarging of dock icons.
- We now have a ranged attack indicator for ranged units that can move and attack on the same turn.
- Now we use mouse up rather than mousedown. This enables us to click and drag to activate options.
- Added food and fuel movement mods. These arenâ€™t enabled yet but when they are your units will have a fixed number of tiles they can move to before resupplying.
- Fixed an issue where clicking multiple buttons would result in all the clicked buttons being highlighted
- Fixed bug where +1 food would appear over hidden tiles
- Fixed bug where units off the map were still visible
- Fixed an issue with tooltip sizes.
- Fixed a bug where the camera changing positions could cause your cursor to move which would change the path preview line.
- Damage indicator no longer can go off the screen.
- Fixed bug where path preview was briefly displaying incorrect information.
- Found the bug that allowed multiple dropdown menus to be opened at once and fixed it.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.